Through the Faculty Excellence Awards, the UConn Foundation Office of Alumni Relations recognizes the outstanding contributions and achievements of UConn faculty. You are invited to participate in this process by submitting nominations to any one or more of the following four awards listed below.
- Faculty Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Faculty Excellence in Graduate Teaching
- Faculty Excellence in Research and Creativity (Sciences)
- Faculty Excellence in Research and Creativity (Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences)
Honorees will receive a monetary award of $500 deposited in an internal University account and special recognition in the fall with the UConn Foundation Board.
The Faculty Excellence in Teaching Awards are given to individual faculty for excellence in teaching. These awards recognize individuals who rise above good instruction, engage students thoroughly in the process of learning, and have contributed significantly to the intellectual life of the University through their teaching. Individuals who are nominated for this award must have a distinguished record of sustained teaching excellence and must have worked at UConn for at least 10 years.
The Faculty Excellence in Research and Creativity Awards are given to individual faculty who have made significant and or creative contributions to a field of knowledge or area of inquiry. These awards recognize research excellence and the highest levels of creativity that enhance the University’s academic and creative reputation. Individuals who are nominated for this award must have a distinguished record of ongoing scholarly and/or creative productivity and must have worked at UConn for at least 10 years.
Submitting a Nomination
Self nominations are not allowed
- The nominator must submit a complete set of nomination materials in a single PDF to Amanda Pitts.
- The subject line must read “UConn Alumni – Faculty Excellence Awards.”
- Nomination materials should be in the order listed below.
- The deadline to submit a nomination is March 8, 2019.
The Faculty Excellence Awards committee will convene this spring to select this year’s awardees. Awards will be presented in the Fall of 2019.
Required Nomination Materials
- Nomination letter (no more than two pages) from a colleague with extensive knowledge of nominee’s teaching accomplishments. Relevant accomplishments could include evidence of outstanding classroom performance (beyond SETs), teaching innovations in the classroom, significant contributions to or development of instructional programs, and outstanding student advising and/or mentoring.
- Supporting letter from a colleague familiar with nominee’s teaching accomplishments
- Two (2) letters of support from current or past UConn undergraduate (for Undergraduate Level) or graduate students (for Graduate Level)
- Curriculum Vitae
- The Office of the Provost will acquire applicable (i.e. undergraduate or graduate) Student Evaluations of Teaching (SET) data from the past seven years for all nominees
Research and Creativity Awards
- Nomination letter (no more than two pages). The nominating letter should very clearly describe:
- The nature and significance of the individual’s scholarship, including relevant indicators of the breadth and/or depth of the contribution to the individual’s field
- Evidence of the individual’s national or international scholarly reputation. Although relevant accomplishments will vary by fields, possible evidence would include the number and quality of key publications, number and nature of citations, national or international invitations to present research and/or give keynote addresses, editorial positions based on scholarly reputation, participation in prestigious advisory boards or exhibits, grantsmanship, testimonials, and indicators of impact on practitioners and other user groups.
- Two (2) letters of support from colleagues with extensive knowledge of nominee’s research and/or creative contributions, with at least one from outside of UConn
- Curriculum Vitae